Requesting a refund
To request a refund or a credit due to order issues, you must make your request within 7 days of your pickup or delivery.
Let us know as soon as possible if your order—
- Is missing items that you were charged for on the final receipt
- Contains damaged, spoiled, or otherwise unusable items
For missing or damaged items, we can issue a refund or credit towards a future order up to the amount you paid for an item. Instacart may issue a partial refund or credit for an item if only a portion of an item is missing or damaged.
Refunds are processed immediately, but it may take 5-10 business days to see the funds in your bank or credit card account, depending on your bank. You won't see refunds in your Instacart account.
You can see any Instacart credits in the Credits, promos & gift cards section of your Instacart account. Credits will automatically apply during checkout on your next order.
Note: Refunds are subject to certain conditions.
Refunds usually hit your bank or credit card account within 5-10 business days.
If you request a refund within 24 hours of receiving your order, you may receive a same-day refund. Same-day refunds don’t appear as separate line items in your bank or credit card statement. Instead, you’ll see an adjustment to the original charge.
For example, if you place a $50 order and receive a same-day refund of $10, the original $50 charge in your statement changes to $40. If you receive a same-day refund for the entire order total, the original charge disappears from your statement.
To check if you received a same-day refund—
- Open your digital receipt.
- Scroll to the Charges section at the bottom of your digital receipt.
- Original Charge shows what Instacart charged you when your order completed.
- Refund for order issue shows any refunds that Instacart processed after your order completed.
- Total Charged shows your final order total, including any refunds applied after your order completed.
- Open your bank or credit card statement and find the original charge you received.
- If you received a same-day refund for your entire order total, the original charge should no longer appear in your statement.
- If you received a same-day refund for part of your order, the original charge in your statement should match the Total Charged from your digital receipt.
If you don’t see your refund after 5-10 business days, and you have confirmed that you didn’t receive a same-day refund, contact Instacart Customer Experience for further assistance.
Returns are subject to the store’s return policies, which vary by retailer. Select retailers allow you to return an item with your digital Instacart receipt.
EBT SNAP and OTC Network/Medicare Card refunds and returns
To request a refund for EBT SNAP-eligible or OTC Network/Medicare-eligible items, or if you’d like to return an item purchased with an EBT or OTC Network/Medicare card, please contact Instacart Customer Experience instead of the retailer.
Only Instacart can process a refund for EBT SNAP and OTC Network/Medicare card online purchases, not the retailer. Instacart typically processes refunds for EBT SNAP-eligible items within the same day to your EBT card. Refund processing times for OTC Network/Medicare cards will vary depending on your plan, but are typically refunded within 5-7 business days.